If you're a regular reader of my blog, you may want to dust your memory on the liberalism-supposedly present in my school.
On monday afternoon, I was sitting in a library and the wall on the main floor is made of see-through glass. I was looking through the glass, when I saw 3 males and female run through the campus naked, like effin' stark naked in broad day light. I know you are wondering who they were. Some white cross country runners, they usually run naked laps but I did not know that they ran naked even in broad daylight, in this cold. Funny part of the story is that the naked runners stumbled upon a prospective students' tour that was being given at the same time. ha! This is the second time that I'm seeing naked folks run through campus.
On Wednesday, I took the same spot in the glass-walled library and I saw two squirrels gettin' at it on the curb outside. It was a the doggy style, then I was like that spot in the library is not healthy for me esp. if I've got limited time to study.
Onto the topic of this post, Dating in college, I have some observations.
Before I came to college, I was accustomed to the baby steps approach to dating between 16 - 22 yr olds. This may be as a result of the fact that I grew up in Nigeria.
- Guy notices some babe
- Guy chases the babe and gets her phone number by hook, book or crook
- Keeps toasting her persistently and girl say no everytime
- Girl succumbs to a date after 1 - 3mth, depends on how much the babe is feeling the guy
- They get to know each other, all the hobbies, habits and stuff
- Girl and boy keep playing cat and mouse for 3 more mths, then they make it official
- Most times, the nookie is included after 6 mths, and their sexual compatibility is investigated/improved.
Now, in college, dating is done in reverse.
- Drunk boy and girl meet at a party, during the weekend
- They make out.
- They meet at parties on the following weekends and hook up.
- They keep doing the koko, not exclusively and find each other sexually-compatible
- Then, they get to know each other, all the hobbies, habits and stuff by going out on dates
- After 2 mths or so, they make it official
Now, I will not state my preference for the pattern that I like but the basis of my observation is that sexual compatibility seems to be the first criterion for dating anyone in my American college. On the other hand, sex is usually the last bus-stop on the to-do list in the typical Naija dating system.
One may criticise this college system of dating but I think that if sex is the pillar ( sometime, the purpose) of most relationships amongst 18 -22yr olds in college, then let the sexual compatibility be the initial criterion rather than beating around the bush.
You may beg to differ?
PS: miss natural, you wrote that I look familiar. from where? i may just know you. email me cos I can't comment on that post for some unknown reason.