- Sucking to Licking
- Humor to Swag
- Ketchup to Cheese
- Firm buns to great racks
- Chocolate to latte pigmentation
- creamed Hausa accent to British'
- Wine to Beer
- Spooning to Grinding
- Porn to CNN
- Hookah to Pot
- Sums to Papers
- Eyeliner to Lipstick
- Kunu to Smoothies
- Flats to Heels
- Sums to Papers
- Body to Face
- the Chase to the Kill
- good loving to cash
Thursday, December 17, 2009
Tuesday, December 1, 2009
But in 19 days, to be exact. yes, Dec 19th! bomp! womp! lomp! Coincidentally, Robby and I are birthday mates. Just putting it out there, in case you want to organize a party for us on FB, buy some stuffs from eBay, send us an eCard, and hug us thru skype.
This is going to be a legit year mark. Y'all know when your age grants you some statutory access, you be feeling fly. Lemme stop this round abt story, I dont know what this bday will look like. I dont have any expectations. Given it a serious thought and all I really want, besides the sentimental "Happy Birthday shout-outs", are
Good Loving. most importantly. (I don't mean BAMF stunts). I just want to chill and you know spend some QT with loved ones. Now, this is too much to ask for?
Adobe Photoshop for MAC. I need the App, for my hobby. (click on photos for more 411)
And a camera bag for my canon rebel T1i, which I just got.
This yr, I'll be jacking for my Orgo Exam final.
Last year, I was in air for the most part.
The year before that, I had >10 major college application essays, due the wk after. Explanatory.
And before that, I was in stuck in HS, prepping for another exam.
Btw, why is there a sketchy rumor about Yarddy being chronically ill? If the president is sick, how can the nation be healthy?
BAMF: Bad ass Mo^$^RFu*&(%^^$
QT: Quality Time
PS: My Text Size is off the hi-zack in this post, I don't have the patience to deal with Blogger's Editor. I tried and tried to no avail.
Monday, November 23, 2009
Back to my tipping story, I pay for my eat-outs myself, most times. This one time, I went out with 4 other friends and we were billed ensemble. The waitress did not even ask if we wanted to pay separately. Anyway, you will not believe she indirectly told us to do the maths ie. calculate whose food costs so so and so. Escusez-moi? I expected her to apologise for not asking how we wanted to be billed and offer to sort out the bill. I was pissed seriously. And I bet she still expected to be tipped. After eating with delight, we started using the calculator in our phones to divide tax and ish. Trust American students, every man for his bill.
Another situation, that a friend told me about, was when she ate at a Thai restaurant and forgot to tip. One of the waitresses caught up with her and her friends to remind them to do so, out side the restaurant. Last time, I checked, tipping was recommended and not necessary. Am I right?
Maybe it is the Nigerian mentality in me but I think it is up to these restaurants to pay their workers well and not make customers feel guilty for not tipping. In Naija restaurants, with comparable standards, tipping is not a must but for sure, customers leave their bill payment balances(change) for the waiters, according to their own judgment.
One time, a friend decided to have a to-go at some place because she did not want to feel guilty for not tipping the waiter, if she ate in there.
Case in a nutshell, I'm just a middle class student, who likes to eat. I don't want any waiter to think that I'm miserly cos don't tip generously. I try.
PS: I am not referring to 5-star restaurants.
Monday, November 16, 2009
If you try to go to Leggy's blog, you will get the 'the blog cannot be found' default. Actually, Leggy deleted her blog with the intention of coming back in 2010 because some non-blogsville folks, who found out her blog, were reading her supposed-anonymous posts. From the source, these non-bville residents think that she is writing stuff about them and she decided to go off-air for a while.
Well, the problem is that she is trying to recover her deleted blog acct and that has not been successful. She told me to ask If you know how to recover a recently ( less than 90 days), pls let her know and drop your suggestions for recovery.
Currently, she is back to her first url, http://leggy-freda.blogspot.com/
PS: Right know, all my tests have rendered my technologically-challenged. I have no ideas
Thursday, November 5, 2009
- Guy notices some babe
- Guy chases the babe and gets her phone number by hook, book or crook
- Keeps toasting her persistently and girl say no everytime
- Girl succumbs to a date after 1 - 3mth, depends on how much the babe is feeling the guy
- They get to know each other, all the hobbies, habits and stuff
- Girl and boy keep playing cat and mouse for 3 more mths, then they make it official
- Most times, the nookie is included after 6 mths, and their sexual compatibility is investigated/improved.
- Drunk boy and girl meet at a party, during the weekend
- They make out.
- They meet at parties on the following weekends and hook up.
- They keep doing the koko, not exclusively and find each other sexually-compatible
- Then, they get to know each other, all the hobbies, habits and stuff by going out on dates
- After 2 mths or so, they make it official
Sunday, November 1, 2009
I see some new bloggers popping, some have migrated to Twitter to discuss Blogsville and other issues, some funny/controversial/*^%? ones are acquiring a fan base, some females are chopping the hair off (including moi), some are still posting up poems (i dont read most them tho), some are just there, some are tryna get the Blogsville critic/judge title and some have gone MIA. Y'all know where you belong? How y'all been tho?
Mehn, Ms. Dufa's blog's playlist has been on, on my lappie, for the last 3 hrs. I'm feeling most of those jamz mehn. Like, my iTunes is becoming 2000 and late. Homegirl is busy jare. I was on Ms. Dufa's blog, after a long while today. PS: If I don't comment on your blog, trust me, I am in touch thru my Google Reader. if you don't use that ish, get on it. Google reader has been saving milions of my seconds of opening individual blogs.
So, how was my DC trip?
Last wkend was my fall break and I went PG chillin'. Good stuff mehn. But my 45 mins flight from JFK was unfortunately eventful. Fashi that side sha. I went shopping, chilling, went to DC's Chinatown branched to Smithsonian and saw the monument, White House, Air and Space Musuem. Basically, orisirisi avenues of American History. It was coincidentally Howard's Homecoming and before you ask I wasn't at any of them events but I went to Howard on Monday. That's the first HBCU, that I went visiting and guess what? I had to dress up because they dress-up to school at Howard. Say wetin happen! some folks at my school even go to class in their PJs mehn. Dressing is mainly for night time. But I wore my koi-koi oh cos I baffed up and my legs pain me tire that day. Howard has some strong hilly parts mehn. I met some folks there, cool Naija people feeling fresh, as expected. Some Howard infrastructures need to be renovated tho but I like the school. Even though, it's like the opposite of mine.
And then! I lost my Halloween virginity on Friday. Shit mehn. Kanye West was kicking it. For those that are not current, I was Kanye West (with boobs) and two of my friends were Taylor Swift and Beyonce. It was a long night jo. I'm not gonna dish out the long story but I recovered with 12 hrs of sleep.
"Yo Taylor! I'm real happy for you and Imma let you finish
UPDATE: Pics have been removed.
PS: I usually have Orin by Adol on replay. I think the song is not popular and it's not really my in preffered genre but I have been feeling it for the last 6 wks. who else has?
Friday, October 30, 2009
The first Catholic man tells his friends, "My son is a priest, when he walks into a room, everyone calls him 'Father'."
The second Catholic man chirps, "My son is a Bishop. When he walks into a room people call him 'Your Grace'...."
The third Catholic gent says, "My son is a Cardinal. When he enters a room everyone says 'Your Eminence'."
The fourth Catholic man says, "My son is the Pope. When he walks into a room people call him 'Your Holiness'."
Since the lone Catholic woman was sipping her coffee in silence, the four men give her a subtle, "Well....?"
She replies, "I have a daughter, slim, tall, 38D breasts, 24" waist, and 34" hips. When she walks into a room, people say, "Oh My God..."
I smiled but didn't laff. Semi-gist abt my DC trip, coming soon.
How y'all been doing?
Tuesday, October 20, 2009
My friend and I were discussing Halloween costumes. She said she wants to be a bee. Then, I mistakenly heard Taylor Swift and she was like, 'Yeah, I can be taylor Swift'. From nowhere, I said, ' and I can be Kanye West.' That's going to be ridic. She's a brunnette but she's gonna buy a blonde wig, while I get some kicks and rock my big chop.
Oh yeah, I made a public debut of my short hair last Sat. Erryone was like, 'Rock it!' but I look so different. I also leveled the cut and it's almost molo. Honestly, I don't give a hoot about my looks these days. Popping lip rubs and lined-eyes help though.
The shape of my head cracks me up. Imagine, those wicked girls, back in high school, that used to call me big-head. Haha, big head ko, big head ni. I have just been adoring my sexy medulla.
New England suddenly fast forwarded to winter over the weekend. Where the eff did fall go to? Though, today was warm.
Saturday, October 17, 2009
This is not the exact version cos I added and omitted some stuff, while I talked. I wish I did better tho.
read the sketch below------------------------
Wednesday, October 14, 2009
Sunday, October 11, 2009
Now, I have to just weave that front portion, don my hair piece and one of my problems is already solved.
Friday, October 9, 2009
- I get to see friends and folks.
- I will enjoy the tropical weather and dodge this punishment, called winter.
- I will possibly go on a mini West-African tour.
- I will lose $2000+ of my money to the cheapest air service that I can find to spend just 3 weeks.
- I will not see the most important, yet some-what absent, person in my life.
- I'll see the infamous MumCee
- I will def go on a mini-European tour, if I can stay warm. I had better be warm ni.
- By hook, crook, or book, I will book a cheap flight. Even if I have to stop over in the north pole.
- I will not see my friends, almost 2yrs now. I feel different from them.
- I will die of cold. No kidding, Yankee is cold, but Hungary is freezing yo. Clear slippery ice is not the best thing to be walked upon
Wednesday, October 7, 2009
Tuesday, October 6, 2009
Later that night, I dint go to the after-party party for many reasons but mostly because I wanted to chill with my friend, who graded from my uni last year. Newyorkers! I give them the upper hand. We were out like 12:30am and the streets were as busy as Oshodi on Friday afternoon. I may be generalising but the only part of NewYork that end up going to errytime is Manhattan. That place is damn busy. The nocturnal rendez-vous are poppin' tho.
Monday, September 28, 2009
Friday night, I chilled with my friends at a graduate student's house for 6.5 hrs. From making dinner, to baking the dessert, to playing cardgames, Kems( just like Naija's jackpot) and spoons (just like Naija's donkeyride). Funniest thing was that I chilled with my Calculus Instructor from last semester. This guy tried to give me tough time last semester. Not tryna make mouth or anything, but he made me pay extra attn to Maths for the first time in my life. Lmao! I used to think that Maths na beans. I still do, really. At the end of the day, he blamed it on my participation, when I thought I was a noise-maker in Maths class lol. I was still angry with him until I saw on Friday night and we became cool after hanging out for 6 hrs +. He is mad cool tho. Also, I learnt a card trick from a Maths PHD student. Rough cuteness oozing! (If you want more info on that description, holla!)
Saturday night, the party my student group planned sucked. =/ Up to the extent that I had to leave to go chill at another joint. Let's just say the other party I went to was on a mad roll. Gbedu express! 5 mins after I got there, Psafe came and there was a rumor that all under-21s should use the back door to escape. See folks rushing out like sardines. Trust college students, the party resumed after the drama.
This week, I have 3 major tests, 2 labs reports and other random assignments due. Ok!
This is why I annoyingly love college. So much work to do, I am not complaining again. I'll just do everything bumper-to-bumper and look forward to the weekend.
Oh yes! Yinkuslolo may be in New York, this coming wkend, for the famous Naija Independence Parade and orisirisi celebration. I have never attended. Who has? What happens? Who is going?
Ok, I never write about my wkends on here.
Good night y'all, I have 5 classes on Monday. Beast-mode, please!
Tuesday, September 22, 2009
But you have brought out the best in me.
- Your wavering maternal presence unleashed my independence prematurely.
- Your mediocre culinary skills forced me into the kitchen, at age eight, to learn how to make that eforiro.
- You drove by me, when I was talking to that boy. Even at age twelve, you trusted me. Maybe you didn't care. I thought you trusted me to not mess up. And I didn't.
- I wanted to learn how to drive, at age sixteen. You let me learn with the car. The only car we had. The car I was ashamed of. I bashed it. The car looked worse. I learnt my lesson. You smiled.
- Second year in college and you have not asked to see my grades. You taught me that my grades do you no good. Thus, I have never received a present for acing my classes, not even in elementary school.
- I can't impress you, you exhaust me. Funny enough, you are my fuel.
- I keep praying for your addiction to Sudoku to go away..
- I am sorry for hitting you, when I sleep. I have told you times without number, to change the size of the bed. All my life, we've have shared the same room, same bed. Well, different beds but same size.
- I hope you learn how to eat sushi, someday.
- I don't want us to stop our periodic family gossip.
- I want you to stop saying 'Mehn!'. It's my thing.
- I look forward to the day, we will share stories about the 'boy department'.
I am not going to praise you but next time, I win 9 awards at the end of the school year, I want you to be proud of me. I doubt if that will ever happen again. You can, at least, come stand by me and not just clap in seat. That, I find it difficult to forgive you for.
I want to be a better mother to my kids. That's a feat.
Happy Birthday Mummy!
Friday, September 18, 2009
- Sex party
- Gender-neutral bathrooms
- Sex magazine
Tuesday, September 15, 2009
- 5 classes + 1 skill lesson.
- 2 jobs.
- Anticipated year-long chemistry research.
- Community service - hospital volunteerism.
- Co-chair of school's international student organization.
Sunday, September 13, 2009
- Q:How much does this losing-your-virginity ish cost?
- A: I need bville to help me out. Deflowering causes u a brief pain and sex is blissful, not always.
- Q:Do our bros really care if they marry a virgin?
- A: In this century, nobody buys a Ferrari without making sure the engine runs smoothly. But for reals, guys! Will you give more respect to your wife, if she's a virgin? Putting all the cultural obligations aside, we know no one is gonna do the red sheet-full keg or white sheet-half keg in this age wedding ritual.
- Q: Our sexed sisters, do you regret loosing your virginity?
- A: Bville help me out.
- Q: If a girl is under 19 and she is determined to lose her virginity cos she thinks that is what is right for her, will you be in support?
- A: Now, I have two answers because I am morally religiously obligated to proclaim sex-until-marriage but I also believe in doing what makes you happy, if you will not look like a mugu.
- Q: Greatest question I keep thinking about: Is it advisable for two virgins to disvirgin each other?
- A: Bville! That's why I'm asking you.
Update: From the comments, which I have read so far, it seems folks tag the maturity needed for losing ur virginity at a particular age. I mean, your reasoning does not really parallel with your age?
Saturday, September 12, 2009
Modified Simpsons for Angolan viewers
Disclaimer: This is not my creation, just a rib-cracking intention. If it struck a nerve, pele! It made me laff.
**he tsk he tsk he tsk** (me, laffing in French)
Tuesday, September 8, 2009
Sunday, September 6, 2009
"I'm curious to hear what you and others think about those without the attitude or those without "swagger" since there is a distinction being made between the two. A lot of people these days are using the concept of swagger as an ideal to be achieved--something that makes you cool. In other words, if you don't have swagger then you're not cool. A lot of times, this is based on how a person looks or what a person wears. I guess what I'm trying to get people to think about is: what is REALLY cool? Is it really about wearing the "right" accessories and wearing clean shoes?"
I have found myself thinking along the same lines too.
One thing I know is that not everyone can be innovative fashion-wise. At least, I know I am not, at the mo. Almost everything I wear is an idea from someone. If I see someone with my body type or poise, I look for something admirable on them and try that style. Seeing that I can easily identify with the Beyonce-type body shape. I have been told so cos Bey is curvaceous. Lol, one of my girlfriends was like my bootay can work anything. haha. OK, check my twitter background on http://twitter.com/yinkuslolo. Na dem sabi
Although, I can be labeled fashion conscious. I like to know what's hip in so-so season. but I follow so many fashion blogs and call admire an Alexander Wang's or Balmain's. You will not see me in those though. Denims are my staple.
I went shopping last wkend, and I actually spent about 80% of my time in the Males' section, shopping for shirts. No, that's not a lesbo move. I am just feeling the shirt with leggings/tights movement lately.
What does swagger mean to you?
wearing what's cool? knowing how to dress?
adding 'swag' to ur screen name on any portal doesn't, for sure.
Orientation ends Monday,
orisirisi planning ends Monday. Yay!
Classes start Tuesday,
work starts Tuesday. Nay!
I want the transition to last forever.
I am not ready for a semester,
promised to be stricken with all-nighter-s.
Friday, September 4, 2009
- I love
foodseafood, especially snails that I prepare from scratch myself.
- I sometimes come off as dumb purposely because my brain (not even my DDs) takes the better part of the attention.
- I remember people's first and last names, of almost every ethnicity, even if I see them in print just once. I am not a stalker but I still remember the names of my primary six classmates.
- I don't know how to appreciate things conventionally cos I am shy like that but I know how to pamper my beloveds.
- I am a spontaneous romantic. You will not discover this side of me except you
- I don't like writing papers. I skim thru my posts rather than proof-read, which I do 2 days later. Walahi! I detest writing, other than blogging and chatting. I would rather write a 5-hr calculus exam than write a 2-page paper.
- I have a wavering self-esteem and I loathe this virtue.
Now, I have something to refer to when I am asked to describe myself. Whoo! Describing one's self is no joke.
I tag my fellow bloggers. Una plenty.
Wednesday, September 2, 2009
I am a feminist by expectation but a mere passive supporter of feminism by decision. Just to add a lil sum'in, I support masculism too. Well, to be clearer, I dont give a damn about Hilary Clinton being the first US president or Lady Gaga's right to discuss a pun-intended disco stick.
When everyone is tryna prove why men shud take up culinary duties, not only in Top Chef, I think of the way women use feminism as a form of armor. In order to make a simple presentation about breast implants, you have think about not triggering some feminism-induced nerve. Eff political correctness!Whenever person A tells me something along the lines of 'Girls! and petty things.' Yeah right, I am meant to put on my feminism armor and tell person A that that statement is sexist. Oh well, some ladies use that feminism response to make person A guilty. Well, I am sometimes person A. As a girl, I sometimes tell girls that we worry about petty things. Two generic online examples, facebook and blogger. Check your homepage, most facebook updates are often by females. And blogger! most posts, I am in position to declare them unwarranted for or ingenious, are authored by females. That's it, on the average, we females talk more. Thus, we tend to talk gibberish more. So, use the feminism armor for the right sexist defense. I don't appreciate using feminism as a coat of armor, when someone criticizes a girl about her benching 100lbs.
To be honest, I think feminism is the outcome of some women liberation. Feminism is important, especially in regions, where gender inequality has not been fully regarded.
PS: Just to reiterate, I am a passive feminist but I actively enjoy feminism's benefits. If I am given preference
Friday, August 28, 2009
Juggling two facades of ur personality isn't the easiest thing. The only aspect of fakeness that I loathe is faking what you think. For example, knowing that A is wrong and telling someone that A is right.
Just to be clear,
- I don't mind ladies wearing that so-called Brazilian weave. haha, everyone is entitled to being omni-beautiful.
- I don't mind you going to the swimming pool for the sake of FaceBook
- I don't mind ladies breathing in, so hard, cos of the much-coveted flat tummies in photos.
- I don't mind guys taking pictures with random white chicks. yo! it's all good, if you think that is how to be diverse/exotic.
- I don't mind your texting unnecessarily on the iPhone. Baby ko easy to acquire that gadget.
- I don't mind your barely audible fake accent. It is your voice box and nostrils that you're straining.
- I don't mind your carrying the faux leather bag imprinted with 'D&G' on it. yo! we all know the way to Chinatown.
- I don't mind your being plastic. Almost everyone has got some sort of plastic, silicone, metal, silk, natural hair on/in their body.
- Hell can freeze over and I would not care about your batting fake eyelashes like Tiny's.
- I may not subscribe to your form of 'fakeness' but I know being fake is a lot of work.Don't just fake your opinion, that doesn't do it for me. If you want something, front moderately. Don't go out of your way to feel stupidly tech by ignoring that chat msg. If you think Sarah Palin is hot, believe it. Don't diss her cos almost everyone is. If you think Rita should have really won Koko Mansion, believe it. Some people, who talk shit about her, may not be able to form coherent msgs.
Just believe in what your 'brain' thinks, to say the least. That doesn't mean I would not rock a waist-high Spanx under that freakum dress.
Where do you draw the line between being fake and real?
Greasing that ashy knee?
Wearing gray non-recommended contacts?
PS: I recently quit blogsville gist 'co-authorship'. =/ It was fun digging out newbies tho. This next week will be hella busy cos it is Orientation period in my school and I am an Orientation Intern. oh well! This morning, I had to go to pick up some international kids from the airport. Time is just a bitchy constraint. I guess Ms.Dufa offered to take my place. Thanks miss. I'm glad! On that note, I do hope everyone is doing alright.
Monday, August 24, 2009
I may have a not-so-straight way of thinking. For instance, I think the compassion you have for your enemies tells me about you than the compassion that you have for your enemies(Hi! Dan Brown). Point being that I don't think that the kids, who go to my college, are rich cos of the $50, 000+ school fees but the worth of the goods that they flippantly part with at the end of the semester.
My own [idea] freebies, few tho cos I'm thinkin' on the fly.
- At this point, I think http://music.gidilounge.com/ is a blessing. Quote me, whenever!
- If you buy anything online like me, from face Primer to groceries and even earrings, you may want to google the name of the 'store' or 'website' and the word, coupon. eg. Google "Urban Outfitters cosmetics coupon." I swear, generous coupons are online.
- On that note, http://slickdeals.net/ is the headquarters of awoof.
- The most annoying thing I buy with my money is water! I usually fill a bottle with water from home. Better still, ask for tap water with lemon. It is a rule that tap water must be filtered in restaurants (Hi! Katherine Heigl).
- Fruits are cheaper and more hunger-quenching than snacks. College pikins in particular, take some fruits offered in the cafeteria
I just bought these posters(3 of the 5) for my room.
Get it girl! The innocence and the photographer are doing it for me.
The girl in la veste rouge looks like she is in a hurry. I like to work under pressure. In other words, procastination is my bitch. I wanna go to Paris, not badly tho, thinking of Thanksgiving break.
Decent. Black. Nude.
Sunday, August 23, 2009
Budapest: pussy pussy
Yankee here, there is the casual hug, which gets tighter with the attraction, no pussy involved. BTW, the last person I hugged last was Leggy. Haha, I don't get to hug many folks. But next week wud be colossal with many chests bumping into one another cos school resumes then. Wow, my DDs.
Lemme not digress. In Naija, I dont think the pussy is included in the greeting hug. When I hug you, I lip-read 'mwah/muah/mwuahhh'
Back to the Pussy in question!
If such is included in the Naija mode of greeting. I don't think it will be well handled cos the hug mode already has its quirks.
Will it be considered morally right and seductively safe?
(Ok, I think I can invent the use of that adverb)
In Budapest, I get somewhat confused, when I'm about to greet a Nigerian there. I think the pussy should be included and I don't wanna be forward cos I don't know the mode of greeting I should subscribe to.
Take it easy people, I don't know what pussy means to you. If u can pussy, maybe u can greet the Hungarian way trés bien.
Update: I am not sure Pussy is what Kiss is called in Magyar(Hungarian lang.) but the word sure sounds like pussy.
Thursday, August 20, 2009
Why am I thinking in somewhat-written-gibberish, I mean why do some folks support queer sexual orientations because they think it is some effing hip openmindedness. That's my main point. If I decide to behave like a minion and seem not to be opinionated, oh snap! I will be doing my curious self some injustice.
I am not sure I'm right. I am not sure anyone is even right but I can point out some, who are wrong. Btw, I am not even using anyone as a point of contact, but I have been reading stances on Homosexuality and other queer sexual orientations lately.
- I cannot dislike/discriminate a queer-sexual, simply because I do not dislike/discriminate govt-fund embezzlers, kleptomaniacs....
- I tolerate /interact with queer-sexual folks, as friends, co-workers ...
- I have been to numerous LGBTQ info blahs
- But I cannot support some queer sexual orientation because I want to be considered openminded and acknowledge some political correctness restriction.
In addition, as a Nigerian, I know queer sexual orientations are not acceptable in [conservative] Nigeria. It then perplexes me, when Nigeria-bred folks go abroad briefly or have some queer friends, and claim that they are in support of the queer community. Please do take a rethink, if you think it is kinda cute to be queer or if you think it is hip to think queer folks are not different. I have been forced to consider that some people accept the cause, to be a step on the Westernization ladder.
Just to be clear, I do not intend to control what people think. I am not judging cos I am yet to consider my religious obligation. If I delve into that, I would have substantial backup, that may lead me to considering the integrity of the religion. Snap! Back to the main gist.
Sometimes, I relate being queer with hurting someone. The way queer folks have the urges to fulfill their not-straight sexual desires is the same way some folks have the urge to strangle strangers. If this comparison is unbalanced, I know both sides share something mutual: the urges must not be fulfilled. There are mere urges, conquer them. I am tempted to prescribe shock therapy.
Plus, thanks to Sugabelly, she brought a fact, there is no natural human-body-part provision for homosexuals, to my knowledge.
Maybe, this post justifies my '?' status on Penelope's post, for now. I am not interested in debating this topic,
but eating my Thai Lemon Chicken with FriedRice for lunch.
Saturday, August 15, 2009
I started wearing glasses in high school. Oh my! I was glad to acquire a new 'tech' accessory but I didn't know something else came with the baggage. That something was a virtue, patience. I could only see the things within the focal length(?) of my glasses clearly. Sometimes, my frame slid down my nose bridge and I had to push it up. Sometimes, my glasses were dusty from accumulating particles on the screen. Particles, which I sometimes did not know about, blurred my vision. I could not go anywhere that required vision without my glasses, even in the dark. I felt my curious self became restricted. My glasses became a significant definition of my person .
This year, I discovered the world of contact lenses. I felt relieved that I had left the world of a fenced vision. I felt unlimited. My curiosity became fueled to beat the . But my glasses were gone. The only inanimate object that could curb my not-so-patient-self.
I delved into photography, in high school. I must add, as an amateur. To write a book in a chapter, I became the school's [unofficial] photographer['and something else']. Two months before graduating, I lost my camera. This year, I got another one, not with the intention of taking pictures of other people but to have a recent sassy FaceBook picture, truthfully.
Looking back at the days, when I lived behind the lenses [whether it be the eyeglasses' or the camera's], when something, inanimate, reined my view of the world, I miss those days. I do not intend to go back to the days of myeyeglasses because my curious self can't stand that patience anymore. I lust for the days of the camera's. Not the chic take-a-picture-of-me-pregaming-with-tequila camera cos I have one of those already. I want one that can take pictures; pictures that will give more meaning to stilled moment.
But which camera? I am not up-to-date with what is hip in photography. I need suggestions. I do not have a price range cos I am ready to save for it, if I have to. I do not mind the physical size. I only mind its ability to awaken my 'photographic spirit'. I need to dust my 'lenses'.
Camera suggestions? or any thing that will assist me with developing my photographic ego?
Merci à l'avance
PS: Muyiwa, author of People in the Limelight, interviewed me, my responses can be viewed here.
Thursday, August 13, 2009
- I have a Nigerian accent, not the 'concentrated' type that can be associated with a particular tribe but the bland 'Abuja-bred' type.
and I reply with the "It's Nigerian" line.
Sometimes, people ask "Where are you from? You have an accent", once I speak.
I reply, "I'm Nigerian. You have an accent too. Where are you from?"
My last response is only used to make someone aware that not because I don't speak like you means I have a strange accent. It seems the word, accent, now means a different way of speaking. Everyone has an accent, simply a manner of pronunciation. If I am to choose, I do not want adulterate my Nigerian accent and give in to the supposed American 'easy-on-the-ears' way of speaking.
When I went home, ie Budapest, last week, I was booking a cab, with an agency in the USA, via phone and my folks told me that I was using an American accent. Just in one year! I knew it was not American cos even some Americans do not understand me at first hearing, when I speak unconsciously with my Nigerian accent. My folks probably meant my way of speaking had changed.
After taking a self-check, I have come to the conclusion that when I'm communicating with non-Nigerian folks, I speak differently, consciously, dropping the Nigerian non-English phonetic sounds, and pronounce all words plainly. For instance, if you call my office phone, I will talk to you with a very plain English accent but I blow pidgin with my Nigerian accent, when on my mobile.
That plain accent has been labeled "American" by my Nigerian folks and "British" by some Americans. If I am to choose any top five preferred accents to have, the American accent will not even be included. I am far from interested in the American or some European country's accent.
This accent thing can become a 'phonetic war'. For example, when I speak French, I debate using the plain accent or Nigerian.
I just want to be understood faster.
Tuesday, August 11, 2009
I am unapologetically big on Naija Pop. The 'Naija Jamz' Playlist on my iTouch is on shuffle/repeat, like right now at work. No matter where I am, ( I'm back to the US of A) I try my best to be current/critical/appreciative about what's popping in Naija. Scratch! I composed these stanzas after remixing MI and Naeto C's songs during my lunch break. Not remix per se, I added some jara and 'twisted' some lines, if you are familiar with MI's Safe, Teaser, Short Black Boy, Anoti and Naeto C's Ringtone and This is what I do.
PS: If you don't know MI, shegay!!! Something dey do that guy
cos that is Naija Hip-Pop speaking.
Claiming to be looking for diva,
like you on fire.
Should I check up on you?
and put it on you.
Effing Amber posing for Complex